Friday, April 18, 2014

Apalach Retreat (Apalachicola to Panama City)


Thursday 4/17/14

In the morning I took a walk in to town, found a cool little café and ordered huevos rancheros, which I find is almost always, served a bit differently everywhere.

Back at the marina I spotted the managers peering into the bushes. Seems they discovered an unusual collection of cute grasshoppers.

The weather had been forecast for a 20% chance of rain but the marina manager told me of much worse so I got on my laptop and was disheartened to read; “gusts as high as 35 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible”, and for Friday “same high winds, chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between 2 and 3 inches possible”. And not that I was planning to do any coastal sailing, but the marine forecast was worse; “gale watch in effect, seas building to ten feet, dominate period five seconds”! It’s sobering to know that any sea height more than equal to wave period is considered to be dangerous, twice that is hard to imagine!

After a short evaluation I decide that hi-def TV and a dry couch didn’t sound so bad, so up on the trailer and back to Steve’s. Another home cooked dinner from Pam and I was “part of the family” again : -).

No comments:

Post a Comment