Thursday, April 24, 2014

Stop Bugging Me (Carrabelle to Cedar Key)


Stop Bugging Me (Carrabelle to Cedar Key)

Wednesday 4/23/14
Out of yesterday’s wind but into no-see-um hell. The protected basin is no protection from the swarming buggers and I’m ready to take a room at the adjacent motel. 
 
 

 

They’ve been plaguing me since Pensacola, sometimes itching so badly I would have screamed if not to wake the other guys. West Coast sailors may laugh but here’s my accumulated arsenal; SPF 40 and 50 Sunscreen, a no-brainer, Repel Mosquito Wipes and Repel 100 Mosquito Spray, which I sprayed around my companionway hatch but next morning found paint dissolved! CVS Soft Skin Bath Oil Spray (same as Avon Skin-So-Soft long-time cure for no-see-ums), Listerine Antiseptic (was recommended by a sports outfitter for no-see-ums), Cortizone-10 Cooling Gel (to relieve itching), and Burt’s Bees Ultimate Care Body Lotion (a moisturizer). But here I sit, looking like I have the measles. Steve told the story of his presentation on Florida insects; visible and invisible!

 
 
But Steve, this morning, is slow moving and feeling ill again (as loosing a custom centerboard would make any small-boat sailor ill). So, he packs up B. Frank and heads home to Panama City. Dan and I are leaning east and trailer the boats to beautiful Cedar Key. Too late to launch the boats, we get spaces at Sunset Isle RV Park and Motel as “nautical” RVs. $33 for me to sleep on Hobbes and Dan sets up sleeping quarters in the bed of his truck. I wonder what this trailer went for.


No comments:

Post a Comment