Friday, April 25, 2014

Sail to Seahorse Key (Cedar Keys)


Thursday 4/24/14

It was 1981 and my wife and I were slowly working our way from Houston to the Florida Keys for the winter in our 23-foot twin-keel Westerly. As we were anchored off the city dock I heard someone calling my name. It was my mom, from Wisconsin, who had been looking for us at about every port along the Gulf Coast. You never know when mom will show up!

 
 
High on my bucket list for this trip was to explore some of the keys here. After buying a launch/parking permit (expiring in 24-hours) I set sail toward Seahorse Key for an overnight anchorage. Less than three miles from the launch ramp it still took me many tacks against a flood tide. Taking advantage of the Potter drawing even less than my Westerly I learned to tack just as the centerboard touched sand.

 
That didn’t work so well for a full-keel ketch, hard aground, that I came across. Next high tide was just after 11PM and this morning they are anchored safely nearby Hobbes.




No comments:

Post a Comment