Tuesday, April 15, 2014

How Wet Can You Get? (Port Saint Joe Marina)

Tuesday 4/15/14

We knew that a storm was due in that night and we were harbor-secure but I have not been aboard Hobbes in such downpours. Leaks at the mast and forward port light was no surprise but I could not believe that rain could come through the closed companionway with such force. I sat there holding a camp towel up across the hatch, in the dark, for I don’t know how long. Earlier I had sprayed my windbreaker with water repellant, now I wished that I had sprayed my bag as it and the mat below it became soaked. We were also pinned by the wind against the dock. Here in Florida, as is a lot of the East Coast, there are no floating docks but solid and unforgiving piers and keeping fenders in place is a challenge and I was concerned about Hobbes little 44-year old rub rail being rubbed away. First light was a blessing as we all got up to the marina office and then to a nearby McDonalds for hot coffee and breakfast. The rain let up and we got all our wet gear into the marina laundry drier, then for a walk to check out the launch ramp. With 20-knot head winds predicted for the rest of the week it’s time to rethink our options for getting to Apalachicola!


No comments:

Post a Comment