Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Catching Coot (Tucson, Az to Junction, Tx)


Saturday 3/29/14

Dan had left with his Pelican named Coot (go figure) in tow from his country home in Fort Bragg, Ca the previous Monday and stopped to visit Sean Mulligan (organizer of the popular and growing Havasu Pocket Cruiser Convention) at Lake Havasu, Az.

I have wonderful part time job for a small “mom and pop” boat chandlery. The boss gave me all for April off and I was able to get on the road on Friday, four days after Dan’s start, so I had some catching up to do. Being stocked with Doritos, string cheese and cherry Coke, I drove all day and most of the night (maybe the best time to see West Texas), only stopping a couple of times at rest stops for “cat naps”. Just past sunrise and Junction, Texas I hadn’t gotten a call from Dan (being out of cell coverage or missed his calls) so had a “feeling” to check my mail and got Steve’s e-mail that Dan was waiting for me - in Junction!   
                                                                                                          
 
 
Now that I’ve caught up to Dan, we can dial back on making miles and enjoy the road.    Dan and I caravanned through downtown San Antonio but he got behind a very large semi he was sure was not going to clear the next overpass ahead.

 It did and we continued to Palmetto Texas State Park for the night. It’s a beautiful river park, built during the 30’s with bluebells in bloom.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment