Monday, April 14, 2014

Pearl Bayou to Farmdale Bayou

Sunday 4/13/14

The morning dawned bright and clear and the tide was up to easily float the boats off the beach.

I sailed, they motored across to Steve’s “chicken and beer” landing from last night for breakfast and day planning.


We also toped up our gas containers as this is the last stop before Apalachicola or Port Saint Joe. As a storm is due in Tuesday we opt for Port Saint Joe as there is a marina and things to do in the rain. It’s too far to make Apalachicola so would be stuck in our little boats. Not so bad for me on Hobbes with a cozy cabin but Dan and Steve have only boom tents for protection.

Once we get underway it’s obvious that it’s going to be a blustery beat across East Bay. The day continues blustery, and a beat, and with a knot and a half foul ebbing tide in the afternoon. Dan, being the fastest boat (and likely the most focused sailor amongst us) pulls ahead and eventually out of sight (turns out that he motor-sailed a bit as well). Steve fell out of sight astern of me as well. Now I was the “middle man” of VHF radio communications and my batteries were running low.

After attempting entrance into what looked on the chart as a cozy bayou turned out to be closed off by a sandy beach. I had doggedly sailed against wind and tide so far, even running aground once, but now that I had the outboard running (for the non-entrance) I put the pedal to the medal for the last half mile into Farmdale Bayou and anchored very nicely in six feet of water. We had discussed that this would be our best place for the night and I expected to see Dan anchored there, but no Coot was to be seen. After a while I heard him on the VHF but he was just out of range. My cell phone rings and there’s Dan – loud and clear! He had missed / passed Farmdale Bayou and anchored a few miles further, but was secure with a warm (no ice) gin and tonic.

Finally, Steve came into VHF coverage and I talked him into Farmdale Bayou where I handed over a couple of not cold but very welcome Bud Lights and he continued over to a very nice beach to end the day. I was too tired to even think of taking any photos – sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment